- Are termites "white ants"?
- Because I have black ants does that mean I won't get termites?
- If I bring firewood into my house full of termites are they going to attack the house?
- What are all those flying ants buzzing around my lights on a warm summer evening?
- I have "dirt" inside the house that reappears on my wall after I clean it. What should I do?
- What should I expect after my spider treatment?
- If my neighbour gets their house sprayed will I get their bugs in my home?
- If it rains after the treatment, will the treatment wash away?
- Do I have to empty the kitchen cupboards?
- Do I have to cover any of the furniture?
- Do I have to move furniture away from walls?
- Do I have to vacate my house after a treatment?
- If my dog eats a poisoned rat will it kill him/her?
- How long is the treatment going to take?
- Top of pageAre termites "white ants"?
YES. "White ants" is just a common name given to termites.
- Top of pageBecause I have black ants does that mean I won't get termites?
NO. Termites travel in sealed galleries or tunnels that do not enable black ants to enter. Termites and black ants are often found infesting the same house simultaneously.
- Top of pageIf I bring firewood into my house full of termites are they going to and attack the house?
NO. Subterranean termites cannot live independent of the galleries that lead back to their nesting site. Termites depend on each other for survival and require access to their nesting site for protein.
- Top of pageWhat are all those flying ants buzzing around my lights on a warm summer evening?
Many of these "flying ants" are probably reproductive termites or "alates". These may have taken flight not far from their nest and are attempting to establish additional colonies. We recommend you retain a few individuals and call our office immediately. One of our technicians can collect the sample and identify it.
- Top of pageI have "dirt" inside the house that reappears on my wall after I clean it. What should I do?
LEAVE IT ALONE. This dirt may only be evidence of black ant or cockroach activity or it may be something more sinister such as termites. Call our office immediately.
- Top of pageWhat should I expect after my spider treatment?
Spider control using pesticides is extremely difficult. Control is usually limited to only killing the spiders on the day of the treatment. Re-establishment of spiders may occur soon after a treatment particularly if the structure is surrounded by much vegetation.
- Top of pageIf my neighbour gets their house sprayed will I get their bugs in my home?
Some insects will be mobilized after a treatment, however many of these will die soon after. The fact that the insects are fleeing means that they have been affected by the treatment.
- Top of pageIf it rains after the treatment, will the treatment wash away?
External treatments cannot be applied during rainy weather. Surface treatments applied to the exterior of the home need 20-30minutes to dry to be effective. Rain AFTER this period will NOT render the treatment ineffective.
- Top of pageDo I have to empty the kitchen cupboards?
NO. Urban Pest Management use the latest formulations to control cockroach infestations. A gel can be applied throughout that will control even the most severe cockroach infestation.
- Top of pageDo I have to cover any of the furniture?
NO. All surface treatments used indoors are applied around the lower perimeters and NOT on to furniture and stored goods. Any gas or "mist" that may be needed in your home to control bird lice will quickly dissipate and no residual will be left behind.
- Top of pageDo I have to move furniture away from walls?
NO. Heavy furniture will not need to moved, however we do recommend that any small items be moved away from the skirting boards so that a greater area can be treated.
- Top of pageDo I have to vacate my house after a treatment?
We do advise that you vacate your premises during the treatment.
- Top of pageIf my dog eats a poisoned rat will it kill him/her?
NO. A rat needs to eat a small proportion of bait before it accumulates a lethal dose, therefore your dog would only be coming in contact with a very small percent of rat bait that has been ingested by the rodent. Secondary poisoning is not very common with modern rodenticides. If you suspect your dog has been poisoned do not hesitate to call your vet who will administer a vitamin K injection as an antidote.
- Top of pageHow long is the treatment going to take?
The average 3 bedroom home will take approximately 1¼ hrs to 1½ hrs to treat for "General Pests" (Webbing Spiders, Cockroaches, Silverfish & Black Ants).